Friday, June 5, 2009

How to apply!

Applying to Overload. How to (and how NOT to) write your application.

Example 1. Good application.

I have read all of your raiding requirements, and I can meet them all. Your three current raid days are perfect for me, and if you add a fourth on monday for progression periods, I should also have no trouble attending that one every week.

My gear more than meets the requirement of being fully enchanted and gemmed, and I have been using the spec that will give me the most DPS according to the latest rogue spreadsheets from ElitistJerks.

I also already have the three required raiding addons; Ventrilo, Omen and Deadly Boss Mods, along with a few other mods that I find useful when raiding. I recommend Doom_CooldownPulse and Quartz. Both are very useful for when you are raiding.

I will most likely try and put together some 10 man raids on the weekends if other peope are interested in coming along. A weekly OS10+3 would be a great way to get everyone some cool mounts and titles.

Anyway, on from the requirements and onto the application:

Character name and class (please link your armory page):

I play an undead rogue named Twiceasnice. (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Jubei'Thos&n=Twiceasnice)

Current Server:


I have been on Jubei'thos since it's release back in January 2007.

Real name, age, location:

My name is Billy*. I'm 26 years old and currently I reside in Sydney, Australia.

*We don't actually need (and prefer not to) know your last name.


Your main spec and any offspecs you are geared enough to raid as:

My main spec is Mutilate. Currently I don't have the proper Armor Penetration gear for combat to be a competative offspec.

Will you be able to make all raid times? Raids are on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. Raids start at 8pm and go until approx. 12. If you are unable to be on time for all 3 raids, please explain why.

I can make all of these raid times, they are perfect for me. I will always be online before 8pm, and stay online untill after 12am. On the rare occasion that I will not be on time for a raid, it would most likely be a Sunday raid in which I am out playing tennis with friends untill 7:30 or so and still need to get home. As I already mentioned, I can also make mondays if it gets added as an extra raid day for progression periods.

Do you have a microphone and Vent? Do you realise how important it is to raiding that you are able to communicate efficiently?

I have both vent and a working microphone! I do realise how important it is to effectively communicate in the middle of boss fights (or even trash), in fact, I would go so far as to say that microphones are required by pretty much everyone in the raid, if hard modes etc are to be done properly. In my old guild half the raid didn't talk on vent, which made progression through Ulduar really tough. Our Offtank didn't have a microphone, and this always unnecessarily complicated many fights, it didn't help that 2/3 of our healers didn't talk on vent either, so if a healer died, no one would notice and be able to take over. It is vital that people be able to communicate such things in a way that people will notice (they would always type in raid chat, and it gets drowned out by DeadlyBossMods spam etc).

A link to any recent WowWebStats or WowMetersOnline reports showing your performance. If you are applying as dps this is required. If you do not have one, go do a raid and record one. If you don't know how to create one, go WWS or WMO. It's not that hard, and if you do not have one it will delay the decision on your application.

My old guild used WowMetersOnline:

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/browse/guildcalendar/26907#calendar

In there you will find a list of our recent raids. I have attended them all.

How you heard about Overload:

Well, it's hard for the reputation of such a guild to remain hidden, but I heard about overload when I was browsing the Jubei'thos realm forums and stumbled across the recruitment thread there.

Why you want to leave your current guild:

My current guild is great, but it just seems that some people aren't serious about the progression that others (including myself) want. They continuously make the same mistakes on boss fights we are learning, or they don't care enough about their poor performance in raids to go look up how to improve without someone yelling at them about it, and some people just simply aren't cut out to be raiders.

A couple of paragraphs about anything else you believe is relevant to your application. Please put some effort into it, if you wish to be taken seriously. Stats alone won't cut it – your application gives an impression about the kind of player you are. Please write in full sentences, not bullet points.

Well as you know, my name is Billy. I have been playing WoW since 2004, and in that time, i have gained a strong knowledge of almost every class. In The Burning Crusade, I had 6 level 70s and I believe that I could play all of them at a top level required for raiding. Currently I only have two level 80s, my rogue and a warlock alt. Although I am applying to raid on my rogue, my warlock is also geared enough for the content that you are currently on, so I can raid on whatever is needed most by the guild.

My rogue is currently Mutilate spec. This spec is one of the highest in the game for providing single-target DPS. I know the rotation like the back of my hand, and manage to click abilities out of my spellbook WHILE backpeddling to get out out of the big fire thingy. I also use the spreadsheets provided at ElitistJerks to gear and spec myself for maximum DPS (something that far too few people do), and can help out anyone else that may have questions regarding maximising DPS.

I am always listening in vent, and although I may make the occasional mistake, you will only ever see me make that mistake once. I can also be pretty vocal on vent when it is required for some fights (calling out things to avoid, or things to target etc). I have experience in all of naxx25, OS25+2, EoE25 and 12/13 bosses in Ulduar25, and will always be flasked for progression fights.

My current two professions are Jewelcrafting and Enchanting. I picked up both of these for their utility in raids (prismatic gems and ring enchants). Both are maxed at 450, and my warlock is a 450 miner. My rogue also has maxed fishing, cooking (with every known cooking recipe learnt) and first aid.

While not raiding, you will either find me in the Arena, or working on achievements (I love achievements!), and I am always looking for people to do achievements with, so don't be too shy to come ask!

Also, my computer and internet connection are both more than capable of handling the load that WoW gives out, so I will have more than 2fps on OS25+3 etc.

Overall I think I would be a great addition to your guild as a raider, and hope to hear back from you soon!

___________________________________________________________________________
Example 2. Bad application.

Character name and class (please link to your armory page)


tiwceasnice, rouge

Current server

JT

Real name, age, location

billy, 26, syndney

Your main spec and any offspecs you are geared enough to raid as.

mut

Will you be able to make all raid times? Raids are on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. Raids start at 8pm and go until approx. 12. If you are unable to be on time for all 3 raids, please explain why.

yes

Do you have a microphone and Vent? Do you realise how important it is to raiding that you are able to communicate efficiently?

yes

A link to any recent WowWebStats or WowMetersOnline reports showing your performance. If you are applying as dps this is required. If you do not have one, go do a raid and record one. If you don't know how to create one, go WWS or WMO. It's not that hard, and if you do not have one it will delay the decision on your application.

i will add later if you want

How you heard about Overload

trade

Why you want to leave your current guild

i want a new guild where i can actually get loot

A couple of paragraphs about anything else you believe is relevant to your application. Please put some effort into it, if you wish to be taken seriously. Stats alone won't cut it – your application gives an impression about the kind of player you are. Please write in full sentences, not bullet points.

i am a really good player, and i want to see content in a guild that is actually able to get me loot, i will put in my best effort all the time. i think overlord will suit me

No comments: